A little about me, Part 4, the bit where I get my licence.

Really? You're still reading?

Wow, thank you, we're almost up to date and at the bit where the exams started.

So, David, G0VIE, replied, patiently answered some questions about the course and suggested I come along to meet him at the club where we could discuss the course and exam a little more.

David was most helpful and agreed to train me on Sundays, once a fortnight to fit in with my childcare needs, the course, if you've ever considered getting licensed, do it, it's fun and at foundation level, it's a good grounding in the basics of operating, some electronics and electrical theory and a little practical. 

Morse appreciation with Jill was also plenty of fun, it sounds a little daunting and, honestly, I was nervous, I have never been able to get Morse into my head so while there's no Morse requirement any more, the 'appreciation' part of the course felt like a hurdle (I'm determined to learn and become proficient, it feels like a rite of passage) but it's truly not, a Morse 'tree' and patience will get you through, it's actually quite fun.

The EXAM!

3rd September 2017.

Booked it, took it...

PASSED!

The preliminary assessment by the invigilators (David and Jill) indicated a pass so I patiently (OK, perhaps a little impatiently) waited for the official results to come back by post.

Sure enough, a pass and the all important candidate number so off I went to the OFCOM licensing portal and after a few attempts to find a callsign that meant something, made sense etc. I let the website allocate one for me, I became M6KOX on 13th September 2017.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free GPS and a Merry Christmas

MiniPA 70 build, almost there.

Replacing the Teensy 3.2 with 4.0 in the GQRP SCD Sudden Digital VFO