A little about me, Part 2

Still here? 

Good.

Read on.

Latterly (OK, 17 years ago) I moved away from repair for money but still like to tinker for fun, I take on repairs of radio gear, for preference things that other people have declared unrepairable, it's brought me all kinds of radios, some CB sets, some Ham sets and a few PMR or commercial devices.

 I worked out the EPROM in some wonderful Key Communications 50 Watt radios that had been customised for data use and figured out how to get them on 2M where they performed beautifully with minimal adjustment.

The EPROM in the Storno CQM6334 and CQM 6114 radios similarly fell to my interests and sat squarely in the 4M and 2M bands but I never really did much after I'd worked them out, it was the fun of the hack that got me, the undocumented and unknown interested me.

All of this, I did for my own interest and I didn't bother to publish any of it, the journey was the fun for me, the end result was boring, I realise now that there was a lot of interest in those old radios and it would have been useful knowledge for other people who had bought them as surplus. 

All the while this was going on, life got complicated, businesses folded, I moved into IT full time and ran a small business supporting other, local small businesses but after a few life changes I folded that business and became risk averse and devoted my energies to full time paid employment with regular, predictable pay, having children can do that to you. 

Yes, two of them, they're great and both have inherited some intelligence as well as a wicked sense of humour and curiosity about the world.

The itch to fix, tinker and just plain mess about never left, so there've been a series of projects, repairs, designs that never left the back of the envelope (cliche? Yes, I draw and design on envelopes) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free GPS and a Merry Christmas

MiniPA 70 build, almost there.

Replacing the Teensy 3.2 with 4.0 in the GQRP SCD Sudden Digital VFO