A little about me. Part 1

Hi, welcome, how on earth did you find me?

I suppose I should introduce myself, I'm Clint, I live in the North West of England, IO83tj and I'm a newly licensed radio amateur (Yeah, that's right, newly licensed and  an M0 not an M6 or a 2E. Read on)...

I have been tinkering with radio and electronics since I was a small boy, I can blame my interest on my Grandfather, Harry, who was one of those people who knew about everything, was continually curious and passed on that spark to me. 

So, one of my first electronics projects at around the age of 11 was a digital die, based on the venerable 555 timer and a 4017 CMOS decade counter.

 I saved for a few weeks and bought all the parts from the local electronics shop (there was a choice of three in my home town, amazing!) yet, for all my reading and 'knowledge' I hadn't realised I needed to break the tracks on the Vero board so of course, it didn't work. 

But, I had built it, and I was proud, even more so when I took it to the local shop and was complimented on my soldering skills as the owner gently explained my mistake, showed me how to cut the tracks and replaced the fried 4017 counter for free. 

At that point, I discovered that I wasn't particularly interested in things that worked, so began a lifelong interest in things that needed repairing, radios, televisions, HiFi, computers, all sorts and, eventually, a career was born, one which has seen me as Team Leader, Department Head, Technical director, partner in a calibration laboratory and a few other not so distinguished things. 

It's been interesting.

Still interested? See Part 2


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free GPS and a Merry Christmas

MiniPA 70 build, almost there.

Replacing the Teensy 3.2 with 4.0 in the GQRP SCD Sudden Digital VFO