More kits and fun.

I've bought a few bits from Hans Summers via his QRP Labs site, low pass filters, an Si5351 synthesizer kit, they've been really nice quality and work as advertised, I highly recommend Hans' kits, they're well thought out, good quality and great fun, Hans is also very helpful and active on the QRPLabs mailing list with tips, suggestions and advice on how to sort out problems people may encounter.

But, the mailing list, there are posts on there from people who have had accidents with their QCX or other kits and need repairs that they just don't feel confident or able to do, SMD rework of the FST3253 chip or the more difficult Si5351 chip (which is tiny) seem to be the main stumbling block for most so I've offered assistance to a few people and have built up a small stock of spare parts for the QCX.

I usually offer free labour repair for things that interest me because it allows me to get my hands on equipment I wouldn't or can't buy for myself for various reasons, I can't buy a 1KW linear for instance because neighbours, licence limitations and, hell, they cost money which is always a problem. I only ask that the repair costs me nothing so the owner pays postage both ways and covers my parts outlay, they get a working piece of equipment (as long as it's not damaged beyond repair) for minimum expense, I get some fun tracking down the faults and testing the gear, everyone wins.

Recently though, I saw a post by an OM who is returning to the hobby and wanted to buy a U3S kit but he has impaired vision which he thinks would make construction difficult if not impossible for him so, I volunteered my time to assist.

The result?

 I now have my hands on a 6 band U3S kit complete with GPS receiver to build and test before sending it on to the OM for his operating pleasure.

He's given me permission to post pictures of his kit and the build here so here we go:

The parcel, as collected from the post office (too large for the letterbox)


The contents:


I'll post updates and pictures as I go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free GPS and a Merry Christmas

MiniPA 70 build, almost there.

Replacing the Teensy 3.2 with 4.0 in the GQRP SCD Sudden Digital VFO